Foundation

das Gründungskonzert

The «Festival Strings Lucerne» ensemble was inaugurated at a concert during the Lucerne Festival in 1956 and until 1986 existed as a private undertaking of its joint founder Rudolf Baumgartner of Zurich, with the city of Lucerne assuming official patronage in 1960. The non-profit Lucerne Festival Strings Foundation was formed on June 26, 1986. The foundation's start-up capital was Rudolf Baumgartner's gift of three classic Italian violins, an Antonio Stradivari (1717), a Nicolò Amati (1675) and an Andrea Guarneri (1680). A Gagliano violin was donated later. The canton and the city of Lucerne became an equal status as financial guarantors for the ensemble. Minute no. 1056 of the Lucerne Canton governing council executive meeting of May 6, 1986 states: «The canton of Lucerne is extremely interested in ensuring that the LUCERNE FESTIVAL STRINGS remain a world-ranking chamber orchestra. In addition to its artistic importance, this elite ensemble has the welcome side-effect of being an excellent advertisement for Lucerne throughout the world.»

    Members of the Foundation Council::
  • Dr. Patrick Troller, President, Lucerne
  • Karin Maria Krauer (for the founding family), Affoltern am Albis
  • Patrick Hauser, Adligenswil
  • Michael Kaufmann, Lucerne
  • Dr. Ulrich Niederer, Lucerne
  • Urs W. Studer, Lucerne